...1...Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day is an excellent option for anyone like me who likes the idea of making bread at home, routinely and deliciously, but hasn't exactly mastered it. (I've tried a number of times but always get discouraged from the whole rigamaroll of it when after all that effort it doesn't turn out to be what I'd been hoping for. I've only tried the first, and simplest, recipe so far, but the bread was excellent. It was totally like authentic european/french bread with a moist, "custard" crumb (the inside) and crispy, chewy crust. It went so perfectly with the creamy soup I had made to pair with it, I was yakking about it for two days! I'm looking forward to continuing through the book and trying different recipes. They even have dough for sweet breads and pastries! (caramel rolls!)
The beauty of it is you mix the dough initially (15 mins) and you store it in your fridge until you're ready to bake. The batches generally make about 4 (1 lb.) loaves and it keeps in your fridge until you're ready for some fresh bread and will be fine stored for about 2 weeks. There's no kneading involved or waiting for it to rise several times and then having to be home to punch it down, etc etc etc. Once you're ready to bake you take it out of the fridge, form the loaves, let them sit for however long (the first recipe was 40 mins) and then you bake! (only 30 mins for the recipe I used.)
I'm crazy about it and I'm not even one of those people who really love bread!
...2...
I feel like I need to admit that I feel both envious and spiteful that my husband's mother is alive and mine isn't. Very terrible, I know. But this is something that I always keep to myself and (try to) never let on in words or actions. It's just resurfaced again for me now, though, because today is mil's birthday and mother's day is just around the corner and there's stuff up everywhere about it. Plus, I've already started having visions/flashforwards (?) of her (mil) coming to the hospital to see the new baby and my mom not being alive to be able to come. It's a sucky thought. I went through that last time I gave birth, so I already know what it feels like and I can't stand it. In fact, (and I realize this might be irrational and/or psychotic of me) I feel like I don't want to let mil in to my hospital room at all. -- just because I can't handle what it does to me and the things it makes me think and feel (re: my mom's absence). It's too much.
...3...
Our oldest has been struggling with a fever and pain due to an ear infection. He was diagnosed on Wednesday, so hopefully he'll be feeling all better tomorrow.
...4...
Today was my 36 week ob appt. A couple of events from that: my abdomen is measuring 37, she switched me off Lovenox (1x day injection) to Heprin (sp?) (which is 2 injections per day), and the test for group b strep was performed. (Plus I learned that I've gained almost 50 pounds so far. Ah! But, if baby's healthy and benefiting I'm willing to deal with it all afterwards, but it isn't exactly a superstar of a prospect!)
...5...
Forgive the video. It's the song I like. :)
...6...
My friend and I were able to keep our lunch date for last Saturday. It was excellent. Her mother is at home and recovering well; she ended up having a stint (?) put in.
...7...
My brother has decided that we can be on speaking terms again after a week of not (I was unaware that he was on strike until his gf called to tell me!). In case I hadn't mentioned it, this was all due to a discussion we had relating to many things political and religious. Wow, wow, wow. I realize it's a generalization, but I believe a lot of those views go hand in hand with a liberal arts education if the pupil didn't have a firm moral/faith foundation from the outset.
Go see Jen for more Quick Takes!

I'm sorry to hear that your mom isn't with you. How long has she been gone? I can imagine it's hard to not have her there to share in your joy. I will pray for you.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jen. My mom passed away almost two and a half years ago. It was just less than three weeks before my second son was born.
ReplyDelete