Saturday, July 3, 2010

Strawberry Saga

Suffice it to say that this, in our area, has not been a good year for the strawberry season. After much anxiety over whether we'd be able to take our boys picking--let alone whether we'd be able to find any from the local growers to purchase.

Cutting it very close to the end of the season we set out to scour the countryside. After three stops and I don't know how many miles (about three hours of driving) we came home with one quart of berries. And by the time we arrived home that quart was half gone.

So long, strawberry freezer jam. See you next year, strawberry-graham-cracker-crust pie. It'll be a long, cold winter without any sliced strawberries emerging from our freezer. Strawberry smoothies, salads, yogurt, cereal--goodbye, I'll miss you dearly. One savored dish of berries on ice cream will have to suffice. (For the entire year.) (Ah!)

And then, two days later, I got an unexpected, miraculous phone call: my grandmother saying that, if I'm interested, they had six quarts of strawberries at their house with my name on them! My gratitude was at a loss for words.

So thanks to my grandparents there are four quart-sized bags of sliced strawberries in my freezer and we had the luxury of saving a few extra back for eating fresh!




I love my grandparents


No comments:

Post a Comment